SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2008

From:
Jan vandenBerg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jan vandenBerg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 2008 15:26:44 -0400
Hi, Miles. We recently switched from wu-imap to dovecot, mainly to gain
support for multiple read/write sessions per mailbox, and to reap the
performance gains of Dovecot's indexes on old-fashioned mbox files. We've
been very pleased with the results. In our case, we already had folks
using a pretty consistent folder location, and we felt like it was worth
the effort to help migrate the few stragglers in order to converge on One
True Folder Location. But if you have some knowledge of where folks store
their mail folders and don't want to deal with migrating everybody to one
location, I _think_ you can simply specify multiple folder paths in
dovecot's mail_location setting.

I also found it handy to define some extra namespaces in the dovecot
config. This allowed folks to access the new, captive folder location
without having to first tweak their old wu-imap-style "folder prefix" in
their client configs:

# default namespace
namespace private {
   separator = /
   prefix =
   inbox = yes
}
# for backwards compatibility:
namespace private {
   separator = /
   prefix = Mail/
   hidden = yes
}
namespace private {
   separator = /
   prefix = ~/Mail/
   hidden = yes
}
namespace private {
   separator = /
   prefix = mail/
   hidden = yes
}
namespace private {
   separator = /
   prefix = ~/mail/
   hidden = yes
}

BTW, we also run cyrus elsewhere. It is quite lovely and a great choice
for brand-new mail servers. And if integrating into your NIS passwd
authentication system is your only issue, that is doable in the SASL
configuration - we authenticate our cyrus users from NIS. But migrating a
big existing mbox-based wu-imap service to cyrus seems pretty spooky to
me. Dovecot is a great compromise in this case, with features and
performance much closer to cyrus than to wu-imap, but with support for
your existing mbox files, and the ability to seamlessly migrate formats
later if the mood strikes you.

-Jan