SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2008

From:
"P. Larry Nelson" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
P. Larry Nelson
Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 2008 15:41:51 -0500
fowler wrote on 10/1/2008 2:33 PM:
> Hello All,
>  Does anyone have any experience with installing ganglia, the cluster
> monitor tool? I'm try to do so on an SLF 4.5 x86_64 machine. When I run
> the ./configure it fails with:
> -----
> Checking for python
> checking for python... /usr/local/bin/python
> checking Python version... can't exec python/Linux-2-4/v2_1/bin/python::
> No such file or directory
> can't exec python/Linux-2-4/v2_1/bin/python:: No such file or directory
>
> can't exec python/Linux-2-4/v2_1/bin/python:: No such file or directory
> checking Python support... no
>
> Checking for apr
> checking for apr-1-config... no
> configure: error: apr-1-config binary not found in path
> ------
>  I'm not sure where to go from here. Any help is appreciated.
> thanks,
> Jack

Ha!  I had similar troubles trying to install it on SL 4.6, so I
gave up and decided to go with a separate, dedicated box I loaded
with SL 5.1.  I don't think I had the same config errors you show,
but there were a lot and trying to resolve all the dependencies was
causing me many days of head scratching and lost sleep.  It just
seemed to me that Ganglia did not want to play in the same sandbox
as SL 4.x, hence the move up to SL 5.x.

My dedicated box runs both the web server and the gmetad daemon
(plus its own gmond daemon for collecting data on itself).

Here's the steps I did (if I recall correctly and my notes are
correct - I'm also currently running ganglia-3.0.7):

  - load SL 5.1 (including apache web server) on its own platform
  - download ganglia rpms (gmond, gmetad, web)
  - install gmond rpm
  - download rpmforge-release-0.3.6-1 rpm (got mine from dag.wieers.com)
  - install rpmforge-release-0.3.6-1 rpm (this allows the next step)
  - yum install rrdtool
  - install gmetad rpm
  - yum install php-gd
  - install ganglia-web rpm (this creates /var/www/html/ganglia which
    then needs to be 'chown -R apache:apache'
  - edit gmond.conf to suit your situation
  - edit gmetad.conf to suit your situation
  - add the following firewall rules (I'm using port 8650 instead of the default,
    and I'm sorry, I've lost the web reference I had for these rules - don't
    remember in what documentation I found them)

-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 8650 -j ACCEPT
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m udp -p udp -d 239.2.11.71 --dport 8650 -j ACCEPT

  - add the following to httpd.conf (per http://www.linux-mag.com/id/1433, which
    incidentally is a wonderful article on the whole Ganglia setup - I highly
    recommend reading it before preceding with a Ganglia installation):

<IfDefine HAVE_PHP4>
LoadModule php4_module extramodules/libphp4.so
</IfDefine>
AddType application/x-httpd-php .php .php4 .php3 .phtml

  - install gmond rpm on all clients to be monitored and edit gmond.conf to
    suit your situation

The above may not be the best way to do it, but it worked for me.
I'm leaving out a lot of config details which you'll just have to play
with, tho there's not much to really configure.

I'd also be interested in other folk's experiences with getting Ganglia
to install, work, and behave properly.

- Larry
--
P. Larry Nelson (217-244-9855) | Systems/Network Administrator
461 Loomis Lab                 | High Energy Physics Group