SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2008

From:
Miles O'Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miles O'Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Oct 2008 18:01:21 -0500
We're replacing our older servers, most of which
are running EL3.  The servers we want to handle
POP/IMAP with are running EL5.  EL4 and EL5
dropped support for the xinetd-based imap.  Cyrus
is way too complex, especially to tie in to the
standard NIS passwd/shadow setup (as far as I can
tell).  We don'twant to set up another radius
server (we can't use the existing radius server
for reasons irrelevant to this discussion).

So I installed dovecot.  It mostly works out of
the box, but wants to force users to migrate where
they keep their files.  Most of our users like where
their files are, or are at least use dto it, and
don't want to have to learn new locations.  Their
mail folder roots have a variety of names.  Dovecot
is extremely configurable, but not in ways useful
to us.

What I *really* want is to just use the old imap
server from xinetd, as it was compatible with how
our users work.  After quite a bit of searching, I
found exactly one rpm site with uw-imapd but it
had a dependancy for an rpm nobody seems to have
for EL5.

SO... does anyone have an EL5 RPM of the old imapd
for xinetd, or can anyone definitively tell me that
dovecot will search and use multiple folder root
dirs and point me to docs that explain how to do this?

[NOTE: I tend to just say EL because we have a mix
of SL and CentOS.]

Thanks,
Miles