SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2008

From:
Christopher Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Christopher Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Oct 2008 12:13:42 -0400
> Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 11:30:23 -0500
 > From: Ken Teh <[log in to unmask]>
 > Subject: Re: NFS woes
 > Dr Andrew C Aitchison wrote:

>> > I've been put off NFSv4 becuase I cannot understand how to
>> > export several directory trees in differenet partitions.
>> > NFSv4 seems to want you to merge them into a virtual partion
>> > and export that, but the kernel cannot cope with the different
>> > bits of the virtual partition having different permission modes.
>> > So I can't export a read only partition and a read-write partition
>> > without the kernel becoming dangerously confused  :-(
>> >

> That I was able to do.  The following /etc/exports is an example:
>
> /x @myclients(fsid=0,rw,....)
> /x/packages @myclients(ro,...)
> /x/home @myclients(rw,...)
>

>> > I went back to NFSv3.
>> >

> I completed my transition to NFS3 today.  We'll see if it "performs better".  I expect it will from past experiences.

You can mix NFS4 and NFS3 exports:
#/etc/exports
#NFS4 exports from "virtual root" /x
#Note the "virtual root" should have rw permissions
/x                     @myclients(rw,async,fsid=0,...)
/x/xsubdir1            @myclients(rw,async,...)
/x/xsubdir2            @myclients(ro,async,...)

#NFS3 explicit exports
/y/ysubdir1         @myclients(rw,async,...)
/y/ysubdir2         @myclients(ro,async,...)

NFS4 helps reduce "stale file handle" messages. Be sure your firewall is
adjusted to handle nfs tcp packets. "Linux NFS FAQ" was very helpful for
me: http://nfs.sourceforge.net/

--
Chris Hunter