SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2008

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 2008 11:50:51 -0500
Ken Teh wrote:
> Are they any problems running the wine emulator on SL5x?  I recall wine
> used to be part of RedHat's distributions.  But, I dont see it in SL5x. Is
> or was there a reason why it was left out? It appears to be part of the
> EPEL repo which I am not familiar with.
>
> One of my users wants it on a server.  I'm reluctant to install it if it
> will hang up the server.  I've never used it myself.  I've played around
> with VMWare and while it works, there were the occasional hiccups. Which
> is ok if it's your own machine.  Not so good on a multi-user server.
>
> I'd appreciate any advice.  Thanks!

I don't have any comments about weather to use it or not.  Some programs work
with it, others don't.  But I've never had it hang my linux box.

It is also available via the dag repository as well as epel

   yum --enablerepo=dag install wine\*

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group