SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2008

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 2008 16:40:32 -0500
Ken Teh wrote:
> I'm unable to install SL4.7 via the url method.  Originally, I thought it was something to do with our local mirror but I've tried it against http://ftp.scientificlinux.org and I get exactly the same error.
>
> The Alt-F4 (?) screen shows the following (I'm copying it from a Ctrl-S screen, so typos galore) :
>
> URL_STAGE_MAIN- url is http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/47/i386
> url address ftp.scientificlinux.org
> url prefix /linux/scientific/47/i386
> mntloop loop0 on /mnt/runtime as /mnt/source/SL/base/stage2.img fd is 22
> mntloop loop7 on /tmp/update-disk as /mnt/source/SL/base/updates.img fd is 22
> umounting loopback /tmp/update-disk loop7
> transferring http://ftp.scientificlinux.org//linux/scientific/47/i386/SL/base/product.img to a fd
> transferring http://ftp.scientificlinux.org//linux/scientific/47/i386/disc1/SL/base/product.img to a fd
> umounting loopback /mnt/runtime loop0
> umount loopback /tmp/product-disk loop7
> LOOP_CLR_FD failed for /tmp/product-disk loop7 (No such device or address)
>
> and it just keeps repeating itself over and over again.  I noticed that it first mounted loop7 on update-disk, then tried to umount it as product-disk.  Is this a typo in anaconda?
>
> I've posted this before maybe a year ago with SL4.6 which IIRC also does not work.  I believed it worked with SL4.5.  And, I know for a fact it works with SL5.x

Hi Ken,
At what point in the install is this?
I'm thinking this is just after you've given it the url, but before the
graphical install part starts.  Is that correct?

Do you get the same errors using ftp instead of http?
(ftp is terrible for SL5, but SL4 the speed is pretty close)

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group