SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2008

From:
"Robert E. Blair" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert E. Blair
Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 2008 12:19:52 -0500

1) You should encourage (or force) users to use encrypted private keys
always
2) You should encourage users to put private-encrypted keys only where
they need them (usually not on servers but on the machines they use the
keyboard of only or a USB stick that plugs into that machine).
3) You should encourage users to use the ssh-agent mechanism to migrate
machine to machine (rather than having keys all over the place)

If the hacker captured the keystrokes to decrypt the key then he
could/would have captured keystrokes for a password just as easily.  If
the practices above are abided by then the odds of compromise go down
significantly.

Rhys Morris wrote:
> The disadvantage of ssh keys was made clear to us recently when a
> machine in a different University was root compromised. The attackers
> stole all the ssh keys they could find, and briefly obtained access to
> my systems via the account of a former student.
>
> Should you allow ssh key access from machines you have no control over?
>
> Something to ponder,
>
> Rhys
>
> On Thu, 2 Oct 2008, Robert E. Blair wrote:
>
> Another alternative is to turn off password authentication and allow
> only public key.  This way the brute forcers can guess all they want and
> never get lucky.  If you need a "card" you can always put your encrypted
> private key / public key pair on a thumb drive which is a very low cost
> option that fits on your keychain.  I believe this approach is
> reasonably platform independent (but I don't us windows so I do not
> speak with authority on this).
>
> Cheers,
> Bob Blair

- --
Robert E. Blair, Room E277, Building 362
Argonne National Laboratory (High Energy Physics Division)
9700 South Cass Avenue, Argonne, IL 60439, USA
Phone: (630)-252-7545  FAX: (630)-252-5782
GnuPG Public Key: http://www.hep.anl.gov/reb/key.asc