SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2008

From:
kukarzev <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 2008 14:08:38 -0500
Hi Steve, all,

I think that doing a software RAID would be ok for me...but it did not
work after the first try.

I have tried running the standard SL4.7 net install using software RAID.
I have created non-RAID swap and RAID partitions for /, /var and /home,
and ran the install. After the reboot, it did not start GRUB and froze
at that point.

Basically, I want to install SL4 on a desktop machine and make it able
to run the standard CMS software, mount standard disks etc. I want to
install this on RAID (either software or fake), so I avoid reinstalling
and reconfiguring everything in case of a disk failure. It is not
terribly important but I would like to try since I have the disks
anyway, and it should not be very difficult, should it?

So... if someone could point out what I did wrong, I would appreciate
that. Or point me to some instructions. Either fake or software RAID
would be fine.

Thanks!

Gena.