SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2008

From:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Oct 2008 02:03:34 +0800
Troy Dawson wrote:
> Hello,
> I still don't have any authoritative kernel links, but this is a good
> summary that I found
>
> "the IDE subsystem in the linux kernel has been functionally replaced by
> the PATA subsystem which uses just that naming convention (sdX instead
> of hdX). IDE is still included in the linux kernel, but is considered
> legacy. However, some distributions still default to IDE."
>
> I'm pretty sure that SL5 is going to continue to use hda instead of
> switch to everything being sda, but I bet that SL6 will be all sda.
>
> I know that Fedora 10 Beta uses the sda only, as does the beta of Ubuntu
> that is currently out.

ubuntu's been using sda etc for quite some time, a year and more I think.

I've just updated an old Tosh Sat from FC5 to f9 and it's gone to some
seriously arcane names in /etc/fstab (one can't blindly copy disks any
more, there's surgery to be done afterwards) and I'm _sure_ it also is
using sda.

--

Cheers
John