SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

October 2008

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Oct 2008 03:50:24 -0500
Hello,
Here are the notes I have from the Scientific Linux Plenary Discussion
at the 2008 Fall Hepix

Discussion Topic:  Support timeline for Scientific Linux 4.  Are we
still comfortable with October 2010?
Conclusion:  Yes, keep it at that time.

Discussion Topic: New Hardware - What are labs doing for hardware that
is so new that it isn't supported in SL4 and SL5?
Conclusion:  Variety of answers.  Some, they only deal with servers.
Some, It doesn't really matter what version of linux is on the desktop,
so they just install what the user wants that works.
One of the most instesting was that they only get Dell's with RHEL
installed on it.
Fermilab plans on trying out making Fermi Linux STS (Short Term
Support), based on Fedora.  They will not be recompiling anything, just
creating their own repository with everything for Fermizing it.

Discussion Topic: Java - when will we upgrade to Java 1.6?
Conclusion:  Many scientific programs really need us to update to java
1.6, the biggest name is dCache.
We will put the latest java 1.6 into testing and let people test it for
a month.  If we don't have any show stoppers, we will push it out on
December 1, 2008

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group