SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2008

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Sep 2008 10:49:09 -0500
Jean-Michel Barbet wrote:
> Troy Dawson wrote:
>
>> openssl-0.9.7a-43.17.el4_6.1 is the name that RedHat uses, and is the
>> name that is in SLF 4.7.  It is the same rpm in every way, but the name.
>> When RedHat started putting the %{dist} variable into their rpm names,
>
> Thanks very much Troy.
>
> Not sure I understand well but that's probably me.
>
> So the last update for openssl would have this name
> openssl-0.9.7a-43.17.el4_6.1 in all SL4.x errata repositories
> (sorry I did not check) ?
>
> Which sounds a little bit strange if I run SL4.3 as I do...

If you look at many of the security errata, you'll see several with el4_5,
el4_6, el4_7.

> I do not understand the motivation for that naming scheme.

I don't either.  It seems to be on random rpm's.  It doesn't mean that it only
works on that one distribution. It's sortof for the name of the distribution
that is the newest when that security errata came out.
It's one of those RedHat things that I have no control over, and I haven't ever
seen a web page or document stating their reasoning for those names.

> Also, I did not see the corresponding advisory on :
> https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/rhel4as-errata.html

https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2007-1003.html

This isn't a new errata.  It's just one that I didn't see and fix until now.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group