SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2008

From:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 2008 19:21:01 +0100
On Tue, 2 Sep 2008, Robert Burch wrote:

> Hi,
> Has anyone see this behavior in SL 5.2?
>
> On boot, we get multiple udevd: nss_ldap failed to bind to LDAP errors.
> udevd tries repeatedly (every 4,8,26,32, & 64 sec.s for about 20 mins.) to
> connect and then claim our ldap server can not be reached, then boots fine.
> It appears that udevd is trying to contact our ldap servers before the
> network is brought up. If I disable ldap, the server boots fine. I have set
> the ldap reconnect policy (/etc/ldap.conf: bind_policy) to soft for the time
> being and it boots fine after udevd times out a few times.

There were similar sounding reports back in May, and most turned out to be
related to changed to how /etc/lapd.conf was being parsed.  If this
machine was updated then it might be that your previously working settings
now need to be changed to work - this was most often reported for lapds
setups.

> How can I fix udev/ldap timeout problem we have?

I seem to remember that when udev is starting up it needs to do user or
group lookups though I can't remember the details or if there was some
change to hack things so it didn't need network access for it's lookups...

> Do I have something wrong in my nsswitch.conf?
>
> Thanks,
> Robert
>
> uname -a
> Linux our.server.edu 2.6.18-92.1.10.el5PAE #1 SMP Mon Aug 4 14:56:48 EDT 2008
> i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>
> udev.i386   095-14.16.el5
>
> openldap-2.3.27-8.el5_2.4.i386
>
> cat /etc/nsswitch.conf  | egrep -v "^#|^$"
> passwd:     files ldap
> shadow:     files ldap
> group:      files ldap
> hosts:      files dns
> bootparams: nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
> ethers:     files
> netmasks:   files
> networks:   files
> protocols:  files
> rpc:        files
> services:   files
> netgroup:   files ldap
> publickey:  nisplus
> automount:  files ldap
> aliases:    files nisplus

It may be worth including your ldap.conf file too just in case that rings
any bells for anyone...

| "Computers are different from telephones.  Computers do not ring." |
|       -- A. Tanenbaum, "Computer Networks", p. 32                  |
| Jon Peatfield, _Computer_ Officer, DAMTP,  University of Cambridge |
| Mail:  [log in to unmask]     Web:  http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/ |