SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2008

From:
Jeffrey D Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeffrey D Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2008 12:52:14 -0700
On Sunday 14 September 2008 9:08:44 am Mark Dalton wrote:
> Hi Ciupu,
>
> I run Scientific Linux 5.2 and as far as I can tell, it comes with
> GNUemacs but not xemacs so
>
> yum install emacs
>
> only gives me "Nothing to do", but no xemacs.  I could install from source
> but it is more work, especially in the long term because it needs to be
> done regularly with version changes.  This is why I ask if there is a yum
> repository with binaries already available (which presumably will be
> updated.)  Judging by your answer, you think there is such a repository,
> please would you give me its name.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

I've installed xemacs on SL5 machines from Karan Singh's Centos-Extras repo.
It seems to work fine.

It is actually in the kbs-CentOS-Testing repo, and has been since CentOS 5
came out a year and a half ago.  I don't know why it has never made it out of
the testing repo.  If there is a more recently maintained rpm I'd be
interested in hearing about it.

Here is the yum repo file I use:

/etc/yum.repos.d/kbsingh-CentOS-Extras.repo:

# All new packages are now released to the testing repository first
# and only moved into Stable after a period of time
# Note: The testing repository is disabled by default

[kbs-CentOS-Extras]
name=CentOS.Karan.Org-EL$releasever - Stable
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=http://centos.karan.org/RPM-GPG-KEY-karan.org.txt
enabled=1
baseurl=http://centos.karan.org/el5/extras/stable/$basearch/RPMS/

[kbs-CentOS-Testing]
name=CentOS.Karan.Org-EL$releasever - Testing
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=http://centos.karan.org/RPM-GPG-KEY-karan.org.txt
enabled=0
baseurl=http://centos.karan.org/el5/extras/testing/$basearch/RPMS/

Since Testing is disabled by default you have to do

yum --enablerepo=kbs-CentOS-Testing install xemacs

to get it.

Jeffrey Anderson    			| [log in to unmask]
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory	|
Office: 50A-5104E			| Mailstop 50A-5101
Phone: 510 486-4208			| Fax: 510 486-6808