SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2008

From:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Sep 2008 13:34:16 +0100
On Thu, 11 Sep 2008, schoappied wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm interested in the scientific-linux distro. I have some questions about
> some packages I like to use.
>
> Are R-project and texlive in scientific linux? Which versions?

In sl5.2 R version 2.7.0 is the current version, and that may be updated
(at least in contrib packages) to the latest version in the next few
weeks.

sl5 doesn't include texlive since that wasn't commonly shipped in any
linux distribution when 5.0 was being built - it has tetex 3.0 instead.

If you particularly want texlive (rather than just a reasonable tex/latex
etc) then you should be able to find a version which will work on sl5.

I would strongly suspect that sl6 will include texlive (since all tetex
development moved over to texlive) assuming that upstream don't randomly
drop tex.  Last time I checked (several months ago) a Fedora texlive
package was still being worked on.

> Is it possible to choose kde or gnome as desktop manager?

Yes.

> Thanks in advance,

| "Computers are different from telephones.  Computers do not ring." |
|       -- A. Tanenbaum, "Computer Networks", p. 32                  |
| Jon Peatfield, _Computer_ Officer, DAMTP,  University of Cambridge |
| Mail:  [log in to unmask]     Web:  http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/ |