SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2008

From:
"Eve V. E. Kovacs" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eve V. E. Kovacs
Date:
Thu, 4 Sep 2008 17:07:51 -0500
I have an SL5.2 system and I would like to make a couple of
configuration changes, but my old tricks don't seem to work
anymore.

1) I would like to reconfigure
the system-auth file in pam.d to do password checking using
pam_passwdqc rather than cracklib and to make the password changes on the
nis server rather than locally.
For SL4 and before, I used to do this by editing the system-auth file and
changing entries as follows:
password  required /lib/security/$ISA/pam_passwdqc.so min=disabled,disabled,disabled,disabled,8
password  sufficient /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so nullok use_authtok md5 shadow nis

Now, for SL5.2, I see that there is a comment at the start of the
the system-auth file that says it is auto-generated, so any changes I make
in the file itself will be lost. So how do I get these changes into
system-auth?

2) Whenever I added new style files to the tex installation,
I would use "texconfig rehash" to update
/usr/share/texmf/ls-R and
/var/lib/texmf/ls-R
Now for SL5.2, the texconfig command is gone. What do I do instead?

Are these kinds of changes documented somewhere, so I can look up
what to do in the future?

Thanks
Eve

Eve Kovacs