SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2008

From:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Sep 2008 21:19:34 +0100
On Wed, 3 Sep 2008, John Summerfield wrote:

> Jean-Paul Chaput wrote:
>>  Hello John,
>
> He's no John, he's a Jon:-)
>
> Commonly short for Jonathon.

Jonathan in my case.  I started using the short form because one place I
worked didn't have space on the safety helmets for 'Jonathan' and anyway
it reminded me of my childhood favourite "Doctor" - Jon Pertwee.

I don't mind being called John because I know that plenty of people assume
that if they just hear it.  At least that gives the right initials, you
may not believe some of the random corruptions I've ended up with from
vendors (Tom, Tim, Jan are common).

And as for my surname... :-)

| "Computers are different from telephones.  Computers do not ring." |
|       -- A. Tanenbaum, "Computer Networks", p. 32                  |
| Jon Peatfield, _Computer_ Officer, DAMTP,  University of Cambridge |
| Mail:  [log in to unmask]     Web:  http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/ |