SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

September 2008

From:
Owen Synge <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 3 Sep 2008 18:57:48 +0200
Dear all,

I support dCache a HEP storage management product and on our wiki pages
we recommend that people use your repositories for yum updates.

I also have deployment testing scripts, which also break often with
this error and since I don't change the settings I know the error is at
least on many occasions server side. Today I one of my customers
reported.

yum update
	Repository sl-errata is listed more than once in the
configuration Repository sl-base is listed more than once in the
configuration Loading "kernel-module" plugin
	Setting up Update Process
	Setting up repositories
	glite31                   100% |=========================|  951
B    00:00
ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/44/SL/RPMS/repodata/repomd.xml:
[Errno 4] IOError: HTTP Error 404: Not Found Trying other mirror.
Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: sl-base failure:
repodata/repomd.xml from sl-base: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.
Error: failure: repodata/repomd.xml from sl-base: [Errno 256] No more
mirrors to try.

The problem I suspect is caused by the SL repository indexes being
updated on line.

For the dCache yum repository I do this off line then rsync the
information to my distribution servers. With this setup I have been
unable to replicate this issue and non of my clients have ever
complained of my repositories since we started with this policy. Glite
and sl4 repositories get almost equal complaints but I suspect they
deploy more updates per day and this maybe why I don't get them.

I don't know how you manage the master SL repositories (maybe you also
use rsync too) but some way to remove the occasional.

IOError: HTTP Error 404

Would make life better for me.

Regards

Owen