SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2008

From:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Aug 2008 20:47:07 +0200
Konstantin,

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008, Konstantin Olchanski wrote:

[...]
> I am surprised at the ranting & raving, as this situation has happened
> before and we know exactly how to deal with it:
>
> 1) 1st tier distributor (Red Hat) pushes a bum package (today it's perl,
> yesterday it was bum kernels)
>
> 2) 2nd tier distributor (SL or CENTOS) fixes it (bum kernels) or does
> not fix it due to manpower and experitise limitations (bum perl).
>
> 3) 3rd tier distributor (TRIUMF computing group) fixes it for
> the local site (or does not fix it)

From here on, the story could and should read differently:

3a) 3rd tier distributor files a bug with 1st tier distributor
3b) 3rd tier distributor notifies 2nd tier distributor and all SL
sites and offers his fixed packages for inclusion in the SL contrib or
testing area

> 4) end user fixes it locally on his machine (build from source,
> installs fixed RH rpms linked from the bugzilla bug entry,
> or installs Fedora rpms, whatever).

This is really not what should happen after (3). SL has a fine record of
3a&b happening instead.

Regards,
 	Stephan

--