SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2008

From:
Rachid Ayad <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rachid Ayad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Aug 2008 16:39:34 -0400
On Sat, 2 Aug 2008, Akemi Yagi wrote:

> You can remount with read/write permissions like:
>
> mount -o rw,remount /dev/hdb1 /scratch

  Hello Akemi, I think there is a prolem with changin permission,
owner,groups in SL: I was doing this all my life with other linux-like
systems and I never had any problem in particular if I was doing from
root. I followed your procedure by unmounting, mounting, and remounting
but it works for few minutes and later my mounted path (HD) looses its rw
option and becomes only read-only. I tried it several times because I
checked that now chown command shows that /scratch is read-only, so I
unmouted, mounted, and remount as you said above, then run "chown" it
works for a while(but before it immediately says read-only) and then
messages saying /scratch file system are read-only. The same thing
happened when we tried to let files from a user seen from another user by
running: "chmod -R g+rw directory" from root but after doing this the
second user still do not see the files even if the two users have the
group.

  Regards, rachid .