SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2008

From:
Marcus Ebert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marcus Ebert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 2008 17:49:51 +0200
Hi Troy,

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008, Troy Dawson wrote:

> Did you start lm_sensors before trying the sensors-detect?
Yes, I did - but it said "failed" thought it has something to do that
there is no configuration file until now...

> I got the same error, and instead of trying to load those modules by hand, I
> just did restarted lm_sensors, and then things worked.
Using "su -" instead of "su" solved this problem - but unfortunatly it
found no sensors :(
I also tested lm_sensors with Slackware which added
MODULE_0=i2c-nforce2
MODULE_1=dme1737
MODULE_2=lm85
to /etc/sysconfig/lm_sensors - so the sensor is there.
Maybe lm_sensors included in SL4.6 is too old (2.8.7 vs. 3.0.2 in
Slackware) for the really new type of Processor...
I will have to check it on the Changelog of lm_sensors - hopefully there
is one on there homepage.

> Troy
> p.s. I have now checked more machines, and I do have one machine that has
> /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/ populated.  And this is an AMD machine.  It definatly
> has something to do with the BIOS.

Hm, ok - I had expect that some modules should be loaded which is maybe
not automatically done in SL.

Cheers,
 Marcus
--
     Please, don't send Word, Excel or PowerPoint attachments -
           use pdf, plain text or HTML format instead.