SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2008

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 2008 10:33:50 -0500
Did you start lm_sensors before trying the sensors-detect?
I got the same error, and instead of trying to load those modules by hand, I
just did restarted lm_sensors, and then things worked.
Troy
p.s. I have now checked more machines, and I do have one machine that has
/proc/acpi/thermal_zone/ populated.  And this is an AMD machine.  It definatly
has something to do with the BIOS.

Marcus Ebert wrote:
> Hi Troy,
>
> thanks for your answer!
> But there is still a problem with it:
> lm_sensors is already installed but sensors-detect has a problem. If I
> start it I get the following output:
> This program will help you determine which I2C/SMBus modules you need to
> load to use lm_sensors most effectively. You need to have i2c and
> lm_sensors installed before running this program.
> Also, you need to be `root', or at least have access to the /dev/i2c-*
> files, for most things.
> If you have patched your kernel and have some drivers built in, you can
> safely answer NO if asked to load some modules. In this case, things may
> seem a bit confusing, but they will still work.
>
> It is generally safe and recommended to accept the default answers to all
> questions, unless you know what you're doing.
>
>  We can start with probing for (PCI) I2C or SMBus adapters.
>  You do not need any special privileges for this.
>  Do you want to probe now? (YES/no):
> Probing for PCI bus adapters...
> Sorry, no PCI bus adapters found.
>
> We will now try to load each adapter module in turn.
> If you have undetectable or unsupported adapters, you can have them
> scanned by manually loading the modules before running this script.
>
>  To continue, we need module `i2c-dev' to be loaded.
>  If it is built-in into your kernel, you can safely skip this.
> i2c-dev is already loaded.
>
>  We are now going to do the adapter probings. Some adapters may hang halfway
>  through; we can't really help that. Also, some chips will be double detected;
>  we choose the one with the highest confidence value in that case.
>  If you found that the adapter hung after probing a certain address, you can
>  specify that address to remain unprobed. That often
>  includes address 0x69 (clock chip).
> Can't exec "i2cdetect": Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden at /usr/sbin/sensors-detect line 4695, <STDIN> line 1.
> Couldn't find i2cdetect program!! at /usr/sbin/sensors-detect line 4695, <STDIN> line 1.
>

> I would expect that i2cdetect is part of lm_sensors which is installed but
> I can't find it.... :(
>
> Do I still have something different to install?
>

> Cheers,
>  Marcus

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group