SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2008

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 2008 09:46:46 -0500
Hi,
I have no idea about other distro's, but I haven't found a machine yet running
SL4 or SL5 that fills in /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/
The tool in Scientific Linux for finding temperatures, fan speeds, and other
stuff is lm_sensors.
To get it setup, make sure it is installed
   yum install lm_sensors
Turn it on
   /etc/init.d/lm_sensors start
Then run the configuration tool as root
   /usr/sbin/sensors-detect
I always just take the defaults, so I just hit return on everything.
After it is done and written out a config file, restart lm_sensors and see what
sensors are detected and being monitored
   /etc/init.d/lm_sensors restart
   /usr/bin/sensors
It usually has way more than you care about.  Most people don't care about the
memory cards that much, so you can edit what get's monitored in
/etc/sysconfig/lm_sensors
I can't remember if lm_sensors is on by default or not, but just incase it
isn't, turn it on by default
   /sbin/chkconfig --level 345 lm_sensors on

Troy

Marcus Ebert wrote:
> Hello,
>
> we have to use SL4.6 on a Dual-OpteronQuadcore system and want to get the
> thermal info for the cpus.
> But  /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/ is empty. :(
> We use kernel 2.6.9-78.0.1.ELsmp.
> It's working without any problems when installing another linux
> distribution like Slackware/SLAMD64 - but we should use Scientific
> Linux....
> Does anybody know how to get it working?
>
> Cheers,
>  Marcus
> --

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group