SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2008

From:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Aug 2008 12:37:09 +0800
Mark Stodola wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I know most of you use nfs or http for kickstart, but I'm trying to do a
> CD based one.  Basically, I have a backup cd I make of certain software
> and system configuration.  I'd like to make this CD bootable with a
> somewhat dynamic kickstart.
>
> I've got a bootable CD working, the problem comes in when I try to work
> with any other files on the CD in conjunction with ks.cfg.
> I've found that the %pre doesn't get parsed/evaluated until the actual
> SL DVD is inserted and mounted. Proven by:

You mastered your own CD images?

The details on how to this properly depend on the release: Tony Nugent
had the 'net's best guide up to RHL 7.3, and if it still exists, would
apply, with minor adaptations up to RHEL 4; after that, Anaconda
switched to using YUM and then the rulebook got chucked out the window.

Your disk-swapping suggests to me you're using EL4 or earlier, and that
you've mastered it badly. Creating a DVD would not have the problem
(though it might seek lots).

--

Cheers
John