SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2008

From:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Aug 2008 15:44:45 -0500
Hey everyone,

I know most of you use nfs or http for kickstart, but I'm trying to do a
CD based one.  Basically, I have a backup cd I make of certain software
and system configuration.  I'd like to make this CD bootable with a
somewhat dynamic kickstart.

I've got a bootable CD working, the problem comes in when I try to work
with any other files on the CD in conjunction with ks.cfg.
I've found that the %pre doesn't get parsed/evaluated until the actual
SL DVD is inserted and mounted.
Proven by:
%pre
mkdir -p /tmp/iso
mount /tmp/cdrom /tmp/iso
ls /tmp/iso >/tmp/iso.lst
umount /tmp/iso
(results in the contents of the SL DVD, not the original boot CD)

This means that all of the "support" files I'd like to use to
generate/include in the ks.cfg are no longer accessible (they were on
the original boot CD).

Does anyone have any insight or experience dealing with this type of
situation?  Network is not an option.  At this point, it looks like I'll
be tearing into the initrd and modifying the startup to populate the
ramdisk, which I'm not keen on doing.

Cheers,
Mark

--