SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2008

From:
Aldo Saavedra <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Aldo Saavedra <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 2008 13:01:12 +1000
Hi,

I was wondering if someone would an insightful comment.

 From reading past posts I managed to get a node to boot from a server
using PXE+DHCP+HTTP

The image resides in /tftpboot and the configuration is
default SL45
serial 0,9600n8
timeout 100
prompt 1

label localboot
  LOCALBOOT 0

label SL45
  kernel SL45-vmlinuz-boot
  append console=ttyS0,38400 console=tty0 load_ramdisk=1
initrd=SL45-initrd.img-boot root=/dev/sda1

 the node finds it and installs SL 45
and reboots...  two questions
1) If this was a diskless node.. rebooting would not be helpful so how
is that installation
done. (I suppose I would need to remove the root=/dev/sda1 but does SL
installation always
needs to be reboot?)
2) If it installs to the hard disk.. then how can I change the default
PXE configuration so it performs a localboot the next time. In this case
while it was powering down I changed the file so the default would be
localboot .

This did the trick, and the machine started booting from the disk but
then an error CRC error made the system halt while it was uncompressing
the linux image (the correct one 2.6.9.55) .
Any ideas?

Cheers,
Aldo

Aldo F. Saavedra