SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2008

From:
Faye Gibbins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Faye Gibbins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Aug 2008 09:50:28 +0100
We're running SL5 with this kernel:

2.6.18-92.1.10.el5 x86_64

We're experiencing regular lockd failures on one of our nfs servers.

One other with doesn't have the problem is still running 2.6.18-53.1.14.el5

The problem is diagnosed by running:

time flock ~/junk echo ok; rm ~/junk

on an affected client of the server.

It may be related to this report of a simular bug in the kernel discused
here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.22/+bug/181996

Does anyone know if the latest SL5 kernels are affected with this bug?
Can something be done as the only fix we can find is to restart the box
the NFS server lives on.

Yours
Faye

Faye Gibbins, Computing Officer (Infrastructure Services)
       GeoS KB; Linux, Unix, Security and Networks.
Beekeeper  - The Apiary Project, KB -   www.bees.ed.ac.uk

   I grabbed at spannungsbogen before I knew I wanted it.

The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body,
registered in Scotland, with registration number SC005336.