SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2008

Date:
Sat, 21 Jun 2008 23:37:55 +0800

>> So, I face a problem:  How to REBUILD / CLONE sda to sdb with Linux
>> command mdadm??  :((
>>

>> Timmy
>
> The "simplest" route is to just use dd(1):
>
> dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=1M conv=notrunc,noerror,sync 2>&1 | tee
> /tmp/dd-errors.log
>
> This will create an exact, bootable clone, including partition tables
> and UUID. It may take a long time, and there is no progress indicator
> with dd, but it works. If there are errors, you can check the file tee
> writes. See the dd manpage for more details.
>
> Other alternatives include partimage, available here:
> http://www.partimage.org/Main_Page -- and also, the mdadm command
> itself -- the short version: set up RAID 1, partitions to Linux raid
> autodetect, put the first drive (your everyday drive) as the first in
> the set and the second as the mirror. The md driver should
> automatically rebuild the mirror for you. Just make sure you partition
> the disks the same way. There's plenty of information on the web about
> working with md/mdadm.
>
> --
> Samuel Halicke      [log in to unmask]
> FNAL/CD/SF/FEF      FCC/252/U
> (T): 630.840.4308   (P): 630.266.0042

Hi Samuel,
I booted my server with Rescue CD and input your recommended command!!!
Worked exactly the way as your stated!!!  Fermi Lab Scientist 5 Stars!!!
* * * * *

It took about 45 minutes to copy the whole 160GB harddisk!  Many Thanks!!!

After the computer booted as normal RAID 1 (not degraded mirror), I
checked the RAID by mdadm command.  It still showed that /dev/md0;
/dev/md1 as inactive.  Is this normal for software RAID 1??

Timmy