SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2008

From:
Jan Iven <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 21 Jun 2008 07:06:07 -0400
On 20/06/08 22:08, Donald Tripp wrote:
> While compiling some packages, i saw that it was using mtune=pentium4,
> even though my system is a pentium3. Where can I set this?

This is set on a per-architecture level (see /usr/lib/rpm/redhat/rpmrc
for who gets what), and ends up in the 'optflags' macro. You could
either specify something like

rpmbuild --target i586 ...

or explicitly pass in your own optimization flags via

rpmbuild --define 'optflags %{__global_cflags} -whatever'

you can set this permanently e.g. in your ~/.rpmmacros file:
%optflags  %{__global_cflags} -whatever

(i386 is so widely used to mean "all 32bit" that optimizing for the
common = >Pentium3 case makes sense. Please note that -mtune=pentium4
code will still happily run on a pentium3, just perhaps slightly slower
- and if you'd care about peak performance, you'd probably be running
something else anyway..)

regards
jan