SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2008

Date:
Fri, 20 Jun 2008 00:50:59 +0800
Hi Roelof and others:
I uninstalled the SiI software raid card and installed SL 5.1 again!  SL
5.1 seemed to be able to set up a RAID pair by itself even without the
add-on raid card!  Everything was very smooth.

My config is:
2 x 160GB SATA harddisks installed on 2 separate SATA channels.

My idea is to keep one hardisk as working system disk 24 hours (science
calculation, business, BT, everything etc and therefore it will be worn
out to death easily ;) and the other  harddisk as Spare disk.  It will
be rebuilt and cloned per week against the working system disk.  Another
file backup software will take care the incremental backup everyday!
Sound very perfect!  ;)

Ok! After the above mentioned SL 5.1 system was built and became stable,
I shut down the computer.  Then, I turned on the computer and
deactivated the 2nd SATA harddisk (named sdb) from within BIOS.  SL 5.1
booted with the single hardisk(sda) successfully (It claimed Degraded
RAID mirror when SL 5.1 started up).  I ran the system for a few days.
Then, I activated sdb again and hoped that SL 5.1 could rebuild it and
cloned sda to it.  However, SL 5.1 claimed that it could not find many
files and stopped at the command prompt.  I rebooted the computer,
deactivated sdb again in the BIOS and booted to SL 5.1 successfully with
only sda again!

So, I face a problem:  How to REBUILD / CLONE sda to sdb with Linux
command mdadm??  :((

Timmy

P.S.  After I had unplugged the SiI software SATA RAID card, SL 5.1
never stops at RedHat Nash 5.19.6 ..... any more.  I guess this model of
card is not compatible with the current SL 5.1!  Avoid it!  :((