SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2008

From:
Jan Schulze <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jan Schulze <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2008 18:36:16 +0200
Hi all,

I recently upgraded a number of NFS clients from SL 4.2 to SL 5.1. The
NFS server is still running SL 4.2. Clients are acting very slow, e.g.

- after SSH authentication, it takes about 5 sec. for the console prompt
 to appear
- every 'ls' is slow
- compiling stuff is terribly slow

It seems to have something to do with NFS - I'm having some NFS-mounted
directories in my $PATH (TC shell). When I throw them out, everything is
working as expected (e.g. compiling gcc was ~9 times faster). Please
note, that the same $PATH does not noticeably slow things down on the
old 4.2 systems.

I did comparisons compiling gcc on the old and new systems while running
tcpdump. I found, that the new systems performed a lot more NFS lookups
(by factor ~4). Everything else seemed normal.

File transfer to the NFS server is OK, no speed problems here. Tcpdump,
however shows a lot of lines like this one, when copying files:
  18:19:56.571906 IP bsnode02.0 > morphin.nfs: 1448 null

Load on the NFS server is much higher than before. I'm a little bit at a
loss - how could I debug these issues further?

Regards,
Jan