SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2008

From:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jun 2008 18:55:12 +0100
On Tue, 3 Jun 2008, Ken Teh wrote:

> Thanks for your response.  The fact that it works for you is encouraging. If
> I do my nfs install, ie, "linux ks=nfs....", I don't get the console-2 bash
> prompt. I don't think anaconda is far enough along.

Yup the bash on console-2 isn't started until stage2 has been loaded.

> That's why I tried to load "linux rescue".  I should have written early
> that anaconda actually crashes in the rescue mode.  I get some sort of
> exception and I see on console-1 an "abnormal exit" message following a
> dump.

Is that booting from CD?  Are there other related messages on the VCs?
I've never seen it crash like that, is the hardware known to be working?

> I tried a plain old "linux text" but I can't nfs mount because the network is
> not prepped yet.  Any more ideas?

Well you could go far enough through the manual install (booted from CD)
to set up networking or manually bring up networking in the console-2
bash... (you don't have much to work with in that environment but I think
it should include at least one of ifconfig or ip).

Did running tcpdump (or wireshark or whatever) on the server show
anything?

  -- Jon