SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2008

From:
Peter Boy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Boy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 2008 12:13:46 +0000
Am Mittwoch, den 11.06.2008, 13:30 +0200 schrieb Klaus Steinberger:
> > I heard that downloading BT file hurts hard disk very much.  However,
> > Case 1 and Case 2 do not have any relationship with BT task.
> >
> > Any technique or trick to avoid this?
>
> That sounds like a major hardware problem.

Not necessarily, similiar problems here. When we tried to install a 5.1
system with the Intel fake raid, the raid of the installed system didn't
work because of identical LVM ids. In 5.0 we didn't encounter that
problem, but the RAID became inconsistent after a while. Unfortunateley
I couldn't spend the time to explore the prob extensively but switched
to a true hardware raid (3-ware). On that system we sometimes encounter
problemes with the home partition (ext3) which is no longer usable. We
had to make  a new filesystem and replay the backup. (Un-)fortunately
the problem is not reproducible on a regular base. "Most times" it
works. I'm not shure if it is due to the regular file system or the Xen
virtualisation layer. We are still exploring the details.

Peter

--
Dr. Peter Boy

University of Bremen
Center for Social Policy Research

Department for Research Methods, Statistical Analysis,
and IT Management

phone: +49 421 218 4374  /  4362

Web:  http://www.zes.uni-bremen.de