SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2008

From:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jun 2008 20:22:24 +0100
On Mon, 2 Jun 2008, Arunkumar S. Bommannavar wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I installed SL5.1 and seems g77 isn't installed. I downloaded the latest
> gcc (4.3.0) and tried to build but it error'ed out. I need to build a
> Fortran code, so I appreciate any suggestions.

The standard fortran compiler in sl5 is gfortran (or f95) since that is
what newer gcc versions call it - it isn't just fortran-77 any more!

   yum install 'gcc-gfortran'

should install it and any dependencies if you don't already have it.

If you really need g77/f77 then there is a compat package using the old
gcc-3.4 but beware that if you have both installed then some scripts
(especially configure type things) will often look for g77 before gfortran
and so you may end up with stuff compiled by the old compatability
compilers when that wasn't needed or wanted.

This is unlike the other compatability compilers which get installed using
names which scripts etc are unlikely to look for:

   $ rpm -qf /usr/bin/gcc34
   compat-gcc-34-3.4.6-4.i386

We install both but have a hack wrapper called g77 earlier on users' paths
which warns them *not* to use that name:

   $ g77
   WARNING: Using old name for Fortan compiler!

   Please use gfortran (or f95) instead of g77/f77. If you *really* need to
   use the old g77 to compile code (for compatability with gcc-3.4)
   please use the command g77-34 instead.

where the g77-34 it mentions is a simlink we added.  I'm hoping that soon
we can start dropping those particular compatability packages.

  -- Jon