SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2008

From:
Ron Rechenmacher <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 7 May 2008 06:51:28 -0500
Hi everyone,

Sorry if you don't have a newer dell laptop -- actually you may be glad you
don't... I know Dell laptops are still fairly common at the lab and I thought
this list would be a good place to get the word out. Please mention this to
anyone that you know has a newer Dell laptop.

I've been working with Dell on a suspend(to ram, aka sleep) - resume BIOS
problem.  I have a d830 but the problem most likely exists on most of the
newer laptops as a significant portion of the BIOS code is common among them.

The problem is that somewhere in the suspend resume process, the BIOS writes
into some memory it shouldn't. This causes random problems - mostly crashes
shortly after resume.  The problem will occur if running Windows also. Until
they get a fix and issue new BIOS for their newer laptops, I would recommend
not using suspend-to-ram, but rather suspend-to-disk.

--Ron