SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2008

From:
Honest Guvnor <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Honest Guvnor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 May 2008 23:40:18 +0200
On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 8:59 PM, Jon Peatfield
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>[SNIP]
>
>  lvm pvscan
>
> looks for pysical volumes

It finds /dev/sda3.

>  lvm vgscan
>
> looks for VGs

There are no VGs. The VG in the PV is empty.

>[SNIP]
>
> Of course you may have lost more than you expected.

Indeed. I unthinkingly thought I was safe by installing on a separate
harddisk. I then made matters worse by not slowing down when I
realised I had possibly messed up. I expect this sort of thing does
one good in the long term but it is a bit annoying and embarrassing at
the moment. In truth, all the important files are backed up but
because it was my home machine it had quite a few unimportant files
whose value to me I now realise was probably rather more than price of
a mirroring harddisk.

Oh well.

-- Andy.