SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2008

From:
Zhi-Wei Lu <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Zhi-Wei Lu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 May 2008 15:39:28 -0700
Thanks Jan!

It appears that nss_ldap_253-12 breaks
ldaps://ldap.server mechanism on port 636, which was in my
/etc/ldap.conf file (used by nss_ldap).

After I modified /etc/ldap.conf with

ldap://ldap.server along with
ssl start_tls
tls_checkpeer yes

nss_ldap-253-12 is happy and it gets data from ldap server with TLS

On the other hand, I still kept my
/etc/openldap/ldap.conf the way it was, that is

URI ldaps://ldap.server

rather than
ldap://ldap.server
TLS_REQCERT demand

otherwise,
ldapsearch seems to happily ignore the TLS_REQCERT demand and sends/gets
data on port 389 in the clear unless your specifiy -ZZ argument.

This thread is directly related to
Faye Gibbins's "Openssl breaks ldap on SL5.0" thread!  It is nss_ldap
rather than openssl's fault.

--
Zhi-Wei Lu
Institute for Data Analysis and Visualization