SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2008

From:
Jeffrey D Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeffrey D Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 May 2008 11:47:28 -0700
On Thursday 22 May 2008 8:20:22 am you wrote:
> On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 03:28:11PM +0100, Faye Gibbins wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >  Has anything relating to how ldap uses ssl changed in the last couple of
> > days?
> >
> >  In the last day or so our ldap servers (that are queried though SSL and
> > the nss_ldap libs) have stopped working properly.
> >
> > They do part of the job then die with broken pipe signals (as seen by
> > running strace on for example "su").
> >
> > This has shown up on both 32 and 64 bit SL5.0 boxes.
>
> We're getting this as well since the update this mornig to
> nss_ldap-253-12.el5.x86_64.
>
> It looks like libnss_ldap.so.2 is now linked again SElinux.  Is that part
> of the problem?
>
> -jkl

I am getting this on SL5.0 and SL5.1.

We use LDAP with TLS for authentication for dozens of workstations, and it is
totally broken at the moment.

I've done a 'yum clean && yum update' to see if Troy's fixed packages from
this morning rectify the situation, but still nothing.

The symptoms are that users cannot login.  They type their password at KDM or
at a text VT, the password apparently is authenticated, but the screen
flashes and they are returned to the login screen.
Also, I cannot 'su' to any users.  If I try, as root for example,
'su SOMEUSER'  I am just brought back to the root bash prompt.  'whoami'
verifies that I am still root, not su'd to SOMEUSER.

finger and id both successfully lookup the user information, but for some
reason su, login, KDM, do not successfully log people in.  I've verified this
on a number of different boxes.  I've also rebooted the LDAP server without
solving the problem.

Jeffrey Anderson    			| [log in to unmask]
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory	|
Office: 50A-5104E			| Mailstop 50A-5101
Phone: 510 486-4208			| Fax: 510 486-6808