SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2008

From:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 May 2008 08:20:19 +0800
[log in to unmask] wrote:
> Hi All
> I am facing problem in instaling dual boot with XP and scientific linux
> 5.1. Although earlier I had installed dual booting with SL 5.0 and vista
> and XP many times. Now I am installing it on a new computer HP Compact
> DC7800.
> First I installed XP in a separate partition. Then I started Linux
> Instalation.  I have made /, swap and /home /boot partition and installed
> linux on / partition.In the begining of instalation I have to give linux
> pci=nommconf

As a matter of course, I'd use "pci=nommconf,nomsi" - I have a DC7700,
its immediate predecessor.

>  because otherwise instalation does not proceed. But after that everything
> instaled perfectly. When after instalation I restarted and selected xp it
> is saying that "A disk read error occured."
> Thanks
> kashif

I don't have any idea of what this might be. What is saying "A disk read
error occurred?" GRUB? Something else?

Read up on grub and practice some of its commands.

Actually, I have two DC7700s. One runs Fedora 9 (it started at an F8
beta), and that works fairly well. On purchase I replaced the 80 Gbyte
disk with 320 and copies the original disk using dd in (probably)
Knoppix, my favourite recovered disk. The install went as it should but
"pci=nommconf,nomsi" was necessary at every turn, and I had no
subsequent problems analogous to yours.

Installing SL to the second was simpler, this particular model came with
two 80 Gbyte drives, one with XP and the other unused.

Getting SL5 to actually work hasn't been as simple, and I'm
contemplating alternatives.

Please, keep the list informed as to what you do to this system, likely
you and I aren't the only ones interested.

It might be useful to mention "Red Hat Enterprise Linux Clone" in the
text, to help anyone looking for solutions with google.

fwiw F9 is fine on the DC7700, but there's no Xen Dom0 support.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait