SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2008

From:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 May 2008 08:23:42 +0800
Shane Voss wrote:
> John Summerfield wrote:
>> Shane Voss wrote:
>>> The RPM for tclx-8.4.0-5.fc6 seems to me to be broken.
>>>
>>> The RPM delivers /usr/lib/tclx8.4/
>>> which contains a bunch of .tcl files, and also libtclx8.4.so
>>> It runs  ldconfig  after install, but this won't find the .so  file.
>>>
>>> I think the  .so  should be put in to /usr/lib
>>> This is how the  tcl  RPM behaves.
>>>
>>> [The 64 bit version treats /usr/lib64 in the same fashion]
>>>
>>> Am I missing something?
>>>
>>>    Shane
>>>
>> This?
>>        package require Tclx
>>

> Sorry John, I've either missed something else or you need to use more
> words.

I've not used TCL much, and even then only enough to make minor hacks to
exmh and to run a tcl/expect script to make telnet login automatically
(and that was on RHL 4.x and 5.x, and no I do no mean RHEL).

I found that by doing what you should have done and apparently didn't, I
installed and read the documentation and did a little light googling.

The links in my sig point to useful info on sorting out these things
yourself, and on asking for help. I don't necessarily agree with
everything in those docs, but probably most here agree with most of
their points.

> On my system, I have installed   tclx  using the above named RPM.
> I can see that it has installed  /usr/lib/tclx8.4/libtclx8.4.so  but
> when I then try to run an executable which has been built against it, it
> fails to load because that file can't be found.
>
> If I tweak my system or my environment I can make it work.  My question
> is shouldn't a well behaved RPM do that for me?

Assume the rpm does it properly and that it should not be hard, and go
from there. If those expectations are not well-founded, someone else
would have complained by now.

I wrote a shared library once, just for the exercise, and in my case I
had to explicitly open it specifying the correct location. Sometimes,
that is appropriate, and is probably the magic behind "package require."
It's similar to what Perl does, and ldconfig doesn't know about its
shared libraries.

--

Cheers
John