SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2008

From:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 May 2008 00:49:37 +0100
On Mon, 12 May 2008, Shane Voss wrote:

<snip>
> Thanks very much Jon.  You've sent me in the right direction I think.
> I'm trying out Environment Modules ( http://modules.sourceforge.net/ ).
> Following your comments, I will try using the pure Tcl (beta) version - it
> looks a lot cleaner despite the beta tag.
>
> I guess the TclX RPM may still be broken, but I'm less worried about it.
>  I think I even understand why nobody else has noticed!

I can't comment on the versions of environment-modules since I've never
used it myself but it doesn't appear to claim to need tclx and
modules-3.2.6 seems to build out of the box on sl5 without it (and links
against libtcl instead).

Given that the pure tcl version doesn't appear to use/load the tclx stuff
either it may only have been looking for tclx because of some need for
some feature which has long since been moved into tcl...

hmm the man page for modulefiles(4) says:

   Each modulefile contains the changes to a user's environment needed to
   access an application. Tcl is a simple programming language which
   permits modulefiles to be arbitrarily complex, depending upon the
   application's and the modulefile writer's needs. If support for extended
   tcl (tclX) has been configured for your installation of modules, you may
   use all the extended commands provided by tclX, too.

so if you have some modulefiles which need to use tclx features you may
still end up needing it (or maybe the modulefiles can load the tclx
package themselves).

--
Jon Peatfield,  Computer Officer,  DAMTP,  University of Cambridge
Mail:  [log in to unmask]     Web:  http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/