SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2008

From:
Shane Voss <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Shane Voss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 May 2008 15:48:45 +0100
John Summerfield wrote:
> Shane Voss wrote:
>> The RPM for tclx-8.4.0-5.fc6 seems to me to be broken.
>>
>> The RPM delivers /usr/lib/tclx8.4/
>> which contains a bunch of .tcl files, and also libtclx8.4.so
>> It runs  ldconfig  after install, but this won't find the .so  file.
>>
>> I think the  .so  should be put in to /usr/lib
>> This is how the  tcl  RPM behaves.
>>
>> [The 64 bit version treats /usr/lib64 in the same fashion]
>>
>> Am I missing something?
>>
>>    Shane
>>
> This?
>        package require Tclx

Sorry John, I've either missed something else or you need to use more words.

On my system, I have installed   tclx  using the above named RPM.
I can see that it has installed  /usr/lib/tclx8.4/libtclx8.4.so  but when I
then try to run an executable which has been built against it, it fails to
load because that file can't be found.

If I tweak my system or my environment I can make it work.  My question is
shouldn't a well behaved RPM do that for me?

    Shane

--
Shane Voss, Computing Officer, School of GeoSciences, University of Edinburgh

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.