SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2008

From:
Shane Voss <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Shane Voss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 May 2008 12:13:37 +0100
Steve Traylen wrote:
> 2008/5/12 Shane Voss <[log in to unmask]>:
>> The RPM for tclx-8.4.0-5.fc6 seems to me to be broken.
>>
>>  The RPM delivers /usr/lib/tclx8.4/
>>  which contains a bunch of .tcl files, and also libtclx8.4.so
>>  It runs  ldconfig  after install, but this won't find the .so  file.

> Not sure what it is you want to do but does installing the tclx-devel
> package help.

Hi Steve,

No, adding the -devel doesn't help.
I was compiling up a package which uses tclx (so I have the -devel installed
anyway).  The binary that gets spat out at the end won't load because it can't
find  libtclx8.4.so

I would expect a well made RPM that delivers such a library to make it
findable.  The choices I can think of are to put it (or a link) in
/usr/lib(64)/ or, if there is some good reason to put it in a sub-directory,
to put an entry in /etc/ld.so.conf.d/ to help ldconfig find it.

Since the RPM explicitly runs  ldconfig, it suggests to me that the author
expected it to get found.

    Shane

--
Shane Voss, Computing Officer, School of GeoSciences, University of Edinburgh

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.