SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

May 2008

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 May 2008 11:03:25 -0500
Klaus Steinberger wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> What do people want to discuss?
>
> Some point's I have:
>
> - SL 5.2
> 	Has it better HVM support in XEN ?
> 		Not clear from the TUV beta releasenotes
> 		(for example both the GPL and Novell PVM drivers do not work with 5.1)
>
> - Kernel Modules:
>
> 	On a kickstart install which includes also the security repo, the actual
>         kernel will be installed, but there is a big chance that old afs and
>         fuse modules will be installed instead of the correct ones.
>
> 	Wouldn't it be better to change them to use the dkms?
>
> - SL on the desktop:
> 	It's really good to have a long term support also on Desktop, but some
> 	applications are a so fast moving target that this let come up the Ubuntu
>         Creep:
>
> 	- firefox / thunderbird : can we switch to 2.x
>
> 	- Openoffice	- 	Version 2.3 or 2.4?
>
> - Basing on CentOS beginning with SL6 ?
>

> Sincerly,
> Klaus

I will put these into the plenary.

One note on the kernel modules ... we see that at Fermi with SLF 5 because that
is how we do things by default, and have done quite a lot of research into it.
  It's pretty complicated.  In the end, I have a script at the end of SLF 5
installs that cleans things up.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group