SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

May 2008

From:
Andy Buckley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andy Buckley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 May 2008 13:42:29 +0100
Michael Semcheski wrote:
> On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 12:38 PM, Andy Buckley <[log in to unmask]
> <mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:

> In short, Fedora solves a lot of the problems that push people to
> Ubuntu.  I wouldn't want to use it on the servers, but I'm writing this
> from a Fedora desktop.

I'm not sure I'd be happy with Fedora on servers, either! But (IMO)
Ubuntu is a very good server OS: it has excellent quality control,
explicit server distributions and long term support (LTS) releases to
pander to the stability-is-everything server-admin mentality.

I already use Ubuntu on 4 heavily-used servers (running mail servers,
mailing lists, databases, web servers, version control server, Java app
server, login shells, development tools etc.) and have found it to be a
very stable platform.

Andy

PS. Use of a non-standard platform for the HepForge login machine is also one
way to address the HEP OS monoculture... or discourage use of the login box as
a compile farm: either is desirable!

--
Dr Andy Buckley
Institute for Particle Physics Phenomenology