SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

May 2008

Date:
Wed, 7 May 2008 12:37:42 -0400
Colleagues,

There is a cross-fertilization that might be very useful for both
the Scientific Linux world and the Sage world.

For those who don't know, Scientific Linux is a linux distribution
that is a "common platform" for scientific users. It was recently
described as:

Sage is an open source effort to create a free and open alternative
to Mathematica, Maple, Magma, and Matlab.

It seems to me that the development of a standardized open source
platform for science and scientific computation have quite common
goals. Indeed, it could be argued quite strongly that this kind of
a platform effort is a strong target for NSF, INRIA, or other major
government funding.

I can answer some trivial questions about both projects but I am
not a "contact person" for either project.

Tim Daly
Axiom