SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

May 2008

From:
Andy Buckley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andy Buckley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 May 2008 13:05:07 +0100
Marc W. Mengel wrote:
> Andy Buckley wrote:
>> Troy Dawson wrote:
>>
>>> **Ubuntu Creep
>>>  - We ran out of time for this.
>> Oh well! Does anyone have any comments to make online?
>
> My claim is that we will continue to have Ubuntu creep until such time
> as we have some (new) people doing a SL-Laptop distro, which would have to:
>  * run a bleeding edge kernel (for h/w, docking, suspend support), and
>  * have assorted cool wireless utilities, etc.
>  * have ssh, etc. configured to run HEPiX-wide
[...]
> But it's going to require at least 4 people with a ready supply of
> current laptop hardware to make it happen.

I would ask whether that's a good use of community funds, given that
there are already distributions which exist at the bleeding edge with
this functionality. I would rather see that level of effort go into
improving the portability of core HEP software, rather than perpetually
rebadging commodity distributions.

Andy

--
Dr Andy Buckley
Institute for Particle Physics Phenomenology