SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

May 2008

From:
"Marc W. Mengel" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marc W. Mengel
Date:
Tue, 6 May 2008 14:31:35 -0500
Andy Buckley wrote:
> Troy Dawson wrote:
>
>> **Ubuntu Creep
>>  - We ran out of time for this.
>
> Oh well! Does anyone have any comments to make online?

My claim is that we will continue to have Ubuntu creep until such time
as we have some (new) people doing a SL-Laptop distro, which would have to:
 * run a bleeding edge kernel (for h/w, docking, suspend support), and
 * have assorted cool wireless utilities, etc.
 * have ssh, etc. configured to run HEPiX-wide

Unfortunately, the only ways I see anyone getting this done is if either:
 * a non-profit corporation is formed with this as its charter, and
   people are able to buy, for example, pre-installed laptops through
   it to keep it funded, and to provide a constant stream of up-to-date
   laptop hardware upon which to test.
 * a new group of dedicated individuals is identified who will provide
   signifigant effort to maintain the laptop-hardware side of this; who
   will be installing laptops at the various HEP labs and working with
   each other.

But it's going to require at least 4 people with a ready supply of
current laptop hardware to make it happen.

Marc