SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

April 2008

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Apr 2008 16:54:39 -0500
Troy Dawson wrote:
> Hi,
> The discussion has come up several times about what to do about updates like
> cups for SL 4.  I've thought about Stephan's scripts, and putting in an epoch,
> or just redoing them all with a new name.  But in the end, I think the solution
> that will cause the least amount of pain for people will be a yum plugin.
>
> I/We can write a plugin for yum, and we'd distribute it to SL 4.0-4.5.
> The plugin would have a list of rpm's, and if it saw them, it would somehow
> demote that rpm, so that the rpm that is really newer would be seen and installed.
>
> So if we take cups for example.
> If yum is going along, and it sees that you have cups-1.1.22-0.rc1.9.20.2.2
> installed.  It will know that it should demote it somehow, and then when it
> see's cups-1.1.22-0.rc1.9.20.2.el4_6.6 it will think that it is newer and
> install it.
>
> The reason I'm thinking a yum plugin is the right way to go is because it can
> be put in, and taken out.  I think once everyone get's to SL 4.6, I *hope* that
> we have all the rpm's fixed up correctly and this plugin won't be needed anymore.
>
> Any idea's and/or thoughts?
> Troy

It's amazing what you can do when you are home sick and don't get
interrupted.

I have made a plugin for SL 5.  It is in the usual testing area.

   yum --enablerepo=sl-testing install yum-versionfix
or

ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/5rolling/testing/i386/yum/yum-versionfix-1.0-1.sl5.noarch.rpm

I currently only have it setup to fix cups.  But it is easy enough to
have it do any oldrpm->newrpm pair.  The key to that is setting up
/etc/yum/pluginconf.d/versionfix.list

If people like thiswe can always populate that file with the other
packages that have problems.

I had hoped that this would be an easy transfer to sl 4, but no such
luck.  It's a bit more complicated than when I transfered the
kernel-module plugin over.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group