SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

April 2008

From:
"Marc W. Mengel" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marc W. Mengel
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 2008 13:30:01 -0500
Troy Dawson wrote:
> Hi,
> The discussion has come up several times about what to do about updates
> like cups for SL 4.  I've thought about Stephan's scripts, and putting
> in an epoch, or just redoing them all with a new name.  But in the end,
> I think the solution that will cause the least amount of pain for people
> will be a yum plugin.
>
> I/We can write a plugin for yum, and we'd distribute it to SL 4.0-4.5.
> The plugin would have a list of rpm's, and if it saw them, it would
> somehow demote that rpm, so that the rpm that is really newer would be
> seen and installed.
>
> So if we take cups for example.
> If yum is going along, and it sees that you have
> cups-1.1.22-0.rc1.9.20.2.2 installed.  It will know that it should
> demote it somehow, and then when it see's
> cups-1.1.22-0.rc1.9.20.2.el4_6.6 it will think that it is newer and
> install it.
>
> The reason I'm thinking a yum plugin is the right way to go is because
> it can be put in, and taken out.  I think once everyone get's to SL 4.6,
> I *hope* that we have all the rpm's fixed up correctly and this plugin
> won't be needed anymore.

I like it.

Better might be to have:
* a string in the version that it looks for (i.e.SLO for Scientific
  Linux Override) that makes it win, or
* a specific yum repository where stuff in there wins in version
  comparisons
rather than a specific list that we have to keep updating...

But a yum  plugin seems a good way to do it.

Marc