SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

April 2008

Date:
Fri, 25 Apr 2008 12:22:43 -0600
Hi,

Still having problems getting installer to get past the "cannot find
needed device" part.  Some hunting with (Crtl-Alt-F4) and (Crtl-Alt-F3)
tells me that no CDrom has been found.  How do I find out what driver(s)
the installer uses for the cdrom drive so it can proceed?
I suspect they don't yet support my new drive, which is:
TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-H653N  cdrom/dvd

Previous successful installations were on machines with these CDroms:
1. SONY CDRWDVD CRX310EE
2. TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H652M

The TSSTcorp manufacturer hasn't responded to my request for a Linux
driver and haven't found any on the web yet.  Also I don't known how to
find it on the SL install disks.

Thanks for your time.

Sincerely,
R.Soares

--------------
--------------

Hi,

I'm trying to replace vista with Linux.  Vista came packaged on my new
machines.  I've installed the same Linux on two others, also prepackaged
ala Vista, with no problems.
My Linux installer loads the basic stuff then halts with message:
"unable to find any devices of the type needed for this installation
type", and gives me a list to choose from.  None of these load, but I'm
using the list to find possible drivers on the web and load them by
floppy when it gets to this part.  So far haven't found one that works.
Most of them I have no idea what they are though I'm learning somewhat
as I go.

I think the problem is missing chip controllers, because the older
machines are Pentium D processors, the new ones are Pentium E.
Motherboards and chipsets are also different.

I tried an upgrade of my Linux version, also another similar distro, but
same result.  Below is the info I hope helps.

LINUX version: Scientific Linux (same as Redhat Enterprise) 5.0

NEW MACHINES:

Compaq Presario SR5450F
Pentium E2180F
Socket 775
NVIDIA GeForce 7100 /NVIDIA nForce 630i (chipset)
motherboard manufacturer & name: Foxconn MCP73M01H1
HP/Compaq motherboard name: Napa-GL8E
hard drives: Hitachi HDP725050GLA360 500GB SATA

OLD MACHINES:

1.)
Compaq Presario SR5050NX
Pentium D925 (P)
Socket 775
Intel 945G (chipset)
motherboard manufacturer & name: Asus P5LP-LE
HP/Compaq motherboard name: Leonite-GL8E

2.)
Compaq Presario SR2180NX
Pentium D820 (S)
Socket 775
Intel 945G (chipset)
motherboard manufacturer & name: Asus P5LP-Le
HP/Compaq motherboard name: Leonite-GL8#

==================

This is the "choose from list":

3ware 9000 Series Storage Controller (3w-9xxx)
3ware Storage Controller (3w-xxxx)
ACARD ATP870& PCI scsi controller (atp870u)
ARECA (ARC11xx/12xx) SATA RAID Host Adapter (arcmsr)
Adaptec AACRAID (aacraid)
Adaptec AHA-2740, 28xx, 29xx, 39xx (aic7xxx)
Adaptec Aic79xx SCSI Host Bus Adapter driver (aic79xx)
Adaptec aic94xx SCSI Host Bus Adapter driver (aic94xx)
Advanced Host Controller Interface SATA (ahci) Compaq Smart Array 5xxx
Controller (cciss)
Compaq Smart/2 RAID Controller (cpqarray)
Emulex FC Controller (lpfc)
Future Domain PCMCIA SCSI driver (fdomain_cs)
HighPoint Rocket RAID SATA Controller (hptiop)
I2O Block driver (i2o_block)
IBM ServeRAID (ips)
ICP RAID Controller (gdth)
Initio 162x SATA controllers (sata_inic162x)
Intel PIIX/ICH ATA controllers (ata_piix)     K2 SATA controllers
(sata_svw)
LSI Logic Fusion MPT Base Driver (mptbase)
LSI Logic Fusion MPT FC Host Driver (mptfc)
LSI Logic Fusion MPT SAS Host Driver (mptsas)
LSI Logic Fusion MPT SPI Host Driver (mptspi)
LSI MegaRAID Controllers (megaraid)
LSI MegaRAID Controllers (megaraid_mbox)
LSI MegaRAID Controllers (megaraid_sas)
Marvell PATA controllers (pata_marvell)
Marvell SATA controllers (sata_mv)
Mylex DAC960 RAID Controller (DAC960)
Pilicon Image PATA controllers (pata_sis)
Promise PATA controllers (pata_pdc2027x)
Promise SATA SX8 block driver (sx8)
Promise SATA controllers (sata_promise)
Promise SX4 SATA controllers (sata_sx4)
Promise SuperTrak EX (stex)
QLogic 2xxx (qla2xxx)
QStor SATA controllers (sata_qstor)
Qlogic 1280/12160 (qla1280)
Qlogic 4xxx (qla4xxx)
SIS SATA controllers (sata_sis)
Silicon Image 3124/3132 SATA controllers (sata_sil24)
Silicon Image SATA controllers (sata_sil)
Symbios 53C896 (sym53c8xx)
ULi SATA controllers (sata_uli)
VIA SATA controllers (sata_via)
VSC7174 SATA controllers (sata_vsc)
nVidia nForce SATA controllers (sata_nv)   ---------------
my "blackscreen" hunting:

when it gets to the low graphics screen (this screen never appeared on
older machine installations)

I did Ctrl-Alt-F3

black screen:
13:16:03 INFO    : load module set done
13:16:03 INFO    : found USB controller ohci-hcd
13:16:03 INFO    : modules to insert ohci-hcd
13:16:03 INFO    : loaded ohci-hcd from /modules/modules.cgz
13:16:03 INFO    : inserted /tmp/ohci-hcd.ko
13:16:03 INFO    : load module set done
13:16:05 INFO    : modules to insert hid keybdev usb-storage
13:16:05 INFO    : loaded usb-storage from /modules/modules.cgz
13:16:12 INFO    : inserted /tmp/usb-storage.ko
13:16:12 INFO    : load module set done
13:16:13 INFO    : no firewire controller found
13:16:13 INFO    : modules to insert libata sata_nv
13:16:13 INFO    : loaded libata from /modules/modules.cgz
13:16:13 INFO    : loaded sata_nv from /modules/modules.cgz
13:16:13 INFO    : going to rmmod usb-storage
13:16:13 INFO    : inserted /tmp/libata.ko
13:16:16 INFO    : inserted /tmp/sata_nv.ko
13:16:16 INFO    : modules to insert usb-storage
13:16:16 INFO    : loaded usb-storage from /modules/modules.cgz
13:16:17 INFO    : inserted /tmp/usb-storage.ko
13:16:17 INFO    : removed usb-storage from modprobe.conf
13:16:17 INFO    : load module set done
13:16:24 INFO    : load module set done
13:16:24 INFO    : got to setupCdrom without a CD device

then I typed lspci.  Nothing happened.

did (Ctrl-Alt-F1) to get back to low-graphics screen:
   Choose a Language...English
-->ok Keyboard Type...US
-->ok Installation Method
-->ok No driver found. Unable to find any devices of the type needed for
this installation type. Would you like to manually select your driver or
use a driver disk?
[Select driver]    [Use a driver disk] [Back]
-->Select driver Select Device Driver to Load. Please select the driver
below which you wish to load. If it does not appear and you have a
driver disk, press F2...(the list)...[ ]Specify optional module
arguments [ok] [back]

pressing (Ctrl-Alt-F3) at this point-->

black screen, stuff from before plus in addition:

13:33:28 INFO    : setting language to en_US.UTF-8
13:33:28 INFO    : 53 keymaps are available

pressing (Ctrl-Alt-F1) to go back to low-graphics screen:

-->Select driver
-->3ware 9000 Series Storage Controller (3w-9xxx)
(first on the list)
Unable to find any devices of the type....

pressing (Ctrl-Alt-F3) at this point-->
black screen with additional stuff:

13:41:45 INFO    : modules to insert 3w-9xxx
13:41:45 INFO    : loaded 3w-9xxx from /modules/modules.cgz
13:41:46 INFO    : inserted /tmp/3w-9xxx.ki
13:41:46 INFO    : load module set done

giving up on that.  Pressing (Ctrl-Alt-F2) nothing but blackscreen
w/blinker

Pressing (Ctrl-Alt-F4)
-->blackscreen with lots of different stuff

<5> SCSI device sda: drive cache: write back
<6>   sda: sda1 sda3
<5> sd 1:0:0:0: Attached scsi disk sda
<6> Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
<6> usb-storage: device found at 3
<7> usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
<6> usbcore: registered new driver usb-storage
<6> USB Mass Storage support registered.
<5>   Vendor: Generic  Model: USB SD Reader  Rev: 1.00
<5>   Type:   Direct-Access                  ANSI SCSI revision: 00
<5> sd 3:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sdb
<5>   Vendor: Generic  Model: USB CF Reader  Rev: 1.01
<5>   Type:   Direct-Access                  ANSI SCSI revision: 00
<5> sd 3:0:0:1 Attached scsi removable disk sdc
<5>   Vendor: Generic  Model: USB SM Reader  Rev: 1.02
<5>   Type:   Direct-Access                  ANSI SCSI revision: 00
<5> sd 3:0:0:2 Attached scsi removable disk sdd
<5>   Vendor: Generic  Model: USB MS Reader  Rev: 1.03
<5>   Type:   Direct-Access                  ANSI SCSI revision: 00
<5> sd 3:0:0:3 Attached scsi removable disk sde
<7> usb-storage: device scan complete
<4> 3ware 9000 Storage Controller device driver for Linux v2.26.02.007.
<4> 3ware Storage Controller device driver for Linux v1.26.02.001.

typing lscpi, no results.
typing (Ctrl-Alt-F1) to go back to low-graphics screen.
This time chose [Use a driver] to try nVidia nForce (from website) on
floppy.
-->Use a driver disk
-->Driver Disk Source. You have multiple devices which could serve as
sources for a driver disk. Which would you like to use? sdf sda sdb sdc
sdd sde
-->sdf. Insert Driver Disk. Insert your driver disk into /dev/sdf and
press OK to continue.
-->ok
Error
Driver disk is invalid for this release of Scientific Linux.

typing (Ctrl-Alt-F3): blackscreen w/additional stuff:

14:10:27 INFO    : trying to mound sdf
14:10:31 ERROR    : cannot find /tmp/driver/modinfo, bad driver disk

typing (Ctrl-Alt-F4): other blackscreen w/additional stuff:

<6> usb 2-5: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 3
<6> usb 2-5: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
<6> scsi4 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
<7> usb-storage: device found at 3
<7> usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
<5>   Vendor: Y-E Data Model: USB-FDU   Rev: 7.03
<5>   Type:   Direct-Access             ANI SCSI revision: 00
<5> SCSI device sdf: 2880 512-byte hdwr sectors (1 MB)
<5> sdf: Write Protect is off
<7> sdf: Mode Sense: 00 46 94 00
<3> sdf: assuming drive cache: write through
<5> SCSI device sdf: 2880 512-byte hdwr sectors (1 MB)
<5> sdf: Write Protect is off
<7> sdf: Mode Sense: 00 46 94 00
<3> sdf: assuming drive cache: write through
<6> sdf: unknown partition table
<5> sd 4:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sdf
<7> usb-storage: device scan complete

typing (Ctrl-Alt-F1) to go back to low-graphics screen:

(F2,F5,F6,... nothing happens but blackscreen w/blinker)
---------------------

I've been using SL for several years, working as a student on a degree
in physics.  Main interest is doing numerical simulations, and I'm
building a small cluster for research.  It's the best Linux distribution
I've tried.
I just bought 2 new Compaq Presarios with Pentium E2180 chips Socket
775, chipset NVIDIA GeForce 7100 /nForce 630i, motherboard Foxconn
MCP73M01H1 (HP/Compaq Napa-GL8E),
with VISTA already on it.  I put in my installer for SL5.0 and it hangs,
saying it can't find certain device(s) or controllers.  I tried the new
version SL5.1 and it does the same.

Hunting the blackscreen during these attempts seems to show that the
Scientific Linux releases don't find any vendor drivers or installers,
but I don't know enough to tell which one or ones.
It's also curious that the installer only uses the low-graphics screen,
which never happened on my older machines.

The older machines are also Compaq Presarios, but Pentium D processors,
motherboard Asus, etc.
And they came with VISTA also, but SL yanked it right out just fine.

This seems like a developer's issue, because it may be the most recent
releases don't have the right devices /controllers for the Pentium E.
I've checked and Pentium D machines aren't being offered anymore.  I
wish I had known all this before I spent $1200 for 2 new machines whose
previous versions worked fine with Scientific Linux.  I hope the
developers will consider this if they haven't already, perhaps some
patches etc?